Conference – Colombia’s Time for Peace
Date: Tuesday 19 May 2015, 18:30 – 20:00
Place: Auditorium A2, Maison de la paix, Chemin Eugène-Rigot 2, Geneva.
Language: English and French
After half a century of armed conflict, a successful negotiation of a lasting Colombian peace agreement seems more likely than ever. In spite of occasional setbacks, conflict has deescalated as the parties have come together since the current peace talks began in 2012. Observing the country’s past, present, and future, the panellists will discuss whether it is finally Colombia’s time for peace and the challenges that may lie ahead in a post-conflict scenario.
The Association of Colombian Researchers in Switzerland, together with the Graduate Institute’s Center on Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding and the Swiss Society of Americanists, are pleased to present the event “Colombia’s Time for Peace“.
This conference is based on the recent publication Colombia Hoy by the Swiss Society of Americanists. This edited volume analyses Colombia’s societal and political changes over the past 25 years and how these affect the society today. The panel will take a multi-disciplinary approach to understand Colombia’s experience with the on-going peace talks as its central point of reference.
- Jean-Pierre Gontard, Former Swiss peace mediator in Colombia
- Enzo Nussio, Post-doctoral researcher, Institute of Latin American Studies, Stockholm University
- Liliana Soler, Academic Coordinator for Latin America at the Graduate Institute’s DPP programme
- Stefania di Iulio, Musicologist, University of Geneva
- Juan Fernando Palacio, Researcher at EAFIT University in Colombia, PhD candidate at University of St. Gallen
- Moderator, Claude Auroi, Honorary Professor in Development Studies, Graduate Institute, President of Swiss Society of Americanists
The discussion will take place in both French and English and will be followed by an apéro. To register, please click here.
Please help us to share this information and join us in the event!